The Vet Nurse's Blog
Holly Elcock is our Vet Nurse Technical Claims Advisor. In her blog she offers advice and shares her experiences gained when dealing with all areas of veterinary practice and claims handling.
November 2013 - Mushrooms
Now that autumn is upon us this means that there are going to be more mushrooms and toadstools about. Mushrooms can be difficult to identify, but this is very important, as although some are edible, some are very poisonous!
Unfortunately many of our dogs love having a bite to eat when they are having a nice walk through the woods. This means they have quite a high chance of accidentally eating a toxic mushroom.
The poisons and effects of the poisons do vary. Some may give a bad but short-term gastric upset. However others can be more serious and lead to death.
In most cases the affects of mushroom poisoning can take a little while to show after being ingested. This can make it difficult to pin point what has caused the problem.
Symptoms to look out for:
• Difficulty breathing
If you know that your dog is a bit of a scavenger and you are aware of an abundance of mushrooms in an area that you go for walks, then it is a good idea to avoid that area, or keep your dog on lead. If your dog isn’t a scavenger then when walking in an area with a large number of mushrooms then it’s still a good idea to keep a close watch of what he or she is doing.
If you are worried that your dog has been eating mushrooms and is showing these symptoms then you should go straight to your veterinary surgeon for tests and treatment.
As with all conditions, the sooner treatment begins then the better the prognosis.