The Vet Nurse's Blog
Holly Elcock is our Vet Nurse Technical Claims Advisor. In her blog she offers advice and shares her experiences gained when dealing with all areas of veterinary practice and claims handling.
March 2014 - Easter Celebrations and Pets
This time of year is lovely as the weather is starting to get warmer and we celebrate Easter with the abundance of Easter eggs and treats. Most pet owners are aware that chocolate is toxic to pets and if their pet eats any it is best to contact your veterinary clinic immediately for treatment which may involve inducing vomiting.
Another hazard this time of year is the packaging the Easter eggs come in. In their enthusiasm to eat the Easter egg some dogs may also eat the packaging as well. This can cause an intestinal blockage, which will require an operation to remove the blockage. Cats also love to play with the long ribbon that is sometimes attached to the packaging. This might be fun to watch but it is best to try and avoid as if the cat swallows the ribbon it will cause what we call a linear foreign body, which are more complicated to remove surgically. If you see your pet playing or chewing with any packaging try and remove it as soon as possible and if possible try and look in your pets mouth to see if they have swallowed any. Try and keep all Easter eggs and the packaging away from pets, and if you are doing an Easter egg hunt for your children then keep a close eye on your pets.
Something else that we may bring into our houses during this time of year is the Lily, especially the Easter Lily. Easter Lily's and some other varieties of Lily are poisonous to cats if ingested. What normally happens is the cat rubs up against the lily's and gets some of the pollen on its coat, then cats being the fastidious creatures they are clean it off and ingest it this way. Occasionally you will get cats that just eats everything or likes to test things by chewing, I have a cat like this at home so cannot keep any plant in the house or it will just get ruined! The first signs tend to be vomiting and this can lead if untreated to renal failure. If you suspect that your cat has been in contact with a Lily, contact your veterinary surgery for advice and where possible try and find out the exact name of the lily and what part your pet has been in contact with.