Frequently Asked Questions
Below you can find answers to common questions about BHSF Pet Insurance policies.
- Is there an age limit on the policy?
- Your pet has to be 8 weeks old at the start of cover, and there is no upper age limit. We do not stop offering cover when your pet is older, as long as there has not been a break in cover.
- Can I pay for my policy in instalments?
- All of our policies are monthly policies which run for 12 consecutive calendar
month periods from the start date of the policy. If you want to pay for 12
months at the start of the policy you can and we will provide you with 12 months
- When does my cover start?
- Your cover starts straight away for accidents. There is a 14-day waiting period for illness cover, which means that no claims can be made for illness within the first 14 days of the policy.
- What is a claim excess and how much will this be?
- The claims excess is your contribution to the costs of treating your pet. The
excess is £65 and this is paid by you per condition per year on all our policies
except for Standard Cover where it is only paid once per condition. For pets
aged 8 years and over, a 15% co-payment will apply to the remaining claim for
veterinary fees, special diet and complementary medicine after the excess has
been deducted, and for any claims for that condition thereafter. If you need to
make a claim under the Third Party Liability section of the policy the excess is
£250 and is paid once per claim.
- What is a co-payment?
- This is the amount you pay towards the vet fee claim for each condition. For all
pets aged 8 years and older the mandatory co-payment amount is 15%. This is in
addition to the standard £65 excess. For example if you made a claim of £300 the
initial excess of £65 would be deducted and you would then be required to pay
15% of the remaining £235 balance, which is £35.25. Therefore the total you
would be required to pay towards the claim is £100.25.
- What Vets Fees are covered?
- Our policy provides insurance for reasonable, customary and essential fees
typically charged by a vet in the provision of treatment.
- How do you assess whether the Vets fees are reasonable, customary and essential?
- Every claim is reviewed by our expert team of Vet Nurses and the cost compared
against our database of similar cases.
- How can I find out if you have received my claim?
- You can track your claim on the website.
- How long will it take to process my claim?
- The process will take five working days from the day we have received the claim.
- Can my pet have any dental work paid for?
- Your pet will be covered for dental treatment as a result of an accident but any
regular or illness related dentistry or is excluded.
- Will you pay the vet or me direct?
- We can pay you or the vet just let us know on the claim form section.
- How will I receive my documents?
- To protect our environment, all documentation is sent via email. When your policy renews, your renewal notice, along with your schedule of insurance and policy wording will be emailed to you 14 days before your renewal date.
- What should I do if I do not receive my documentation?
- If you do not receive your documentation, please check your spam or junk email, as sometimes internet security settings may divert them here. If they are not there then call our friendly customer services team on 0845 604 2308.